Sunday, October 10

STOP CLEANING

Cleaning the Apple
I am spending a lot of time cleaning my desk.

I've cleaned the computer screen, the keyboard, it's very dirty between the grooves, and I've rearranged the bookshelves.

Cleaning is a dangerous activity for any writer.  It can take hours or in my case – days.

Just one more wipe over the rosewood slab that is my desk. It shines and a pink hue at the right time of the day, when the sun is low in the sky, reflects against my face as I write.

That is . .  if I was at my desk writing.

Something has happened in the last month. I haven't written much. About 1,000 words.

I've carried my manuscript everywhere I go.
I've thought about the story, the characters and even sent off the first 50 pages for selection to the 2011 Harper Collins/Varuna Fellowship.

Trouble is, I have a lot more to write. 50,000 words at least. And cleaning my desk or screen with fresh smelling euc oil isn't going to get me a novel.

The less I write, the less confidence I have in myself and . . .  the less I write.

I know the solution is to write hard, write fast, don't edit, don't think to much, get in the zone. Write, write, write.

Stop cleaning and write.
I am shouting this at myself right now.
I need to be much harsher on myself.
I need to create my own deadline and write to it.

Write for god's sake.


Pic taken in Sydney CBD, late at night when the Mac Shop gets its Apple cleaned.

5 comments:

  1. ok...so it must be clean by now. Get writing!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Apple store! THREE levels!! It's awesome! Don't worry, Susanna, sometimes cleaning the outside (your desk) refreshes your inside (your mind) and you can sit down and relax into the zone in your nice clean space.

    You can do it! Have FUN and it will flow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never stop cleaning tho. You might get labelled a dirfty girl! XXX W

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay . . enough cleaning. Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete