Friday, August 6

MAKING TIME TO WRITE

Time waits for no man . . . or woman . . . or writer.
I am starting full time work again in two weeks.

While I'm excited about rolling up my sleeves and throwing myself back into the newspaper world, a part of me is worried about my creative writing time.



When will I work on my novel, short stories and the poems I write for myself?
This writing keeps me sane-ish.

I thrive on a deadline and like to set myself a target of 1,000 words a day.
A lot of that is edited out in further readings but the word target keeps me on task.

Right now, I'm working on a back-to-full-time-work plan.
I reckon 500 words a day, done in the morning before I head off to work or alternatively late at night.
As long as it's do-able.

For six months I had the indulgence of wallowing in my words, going to uni, talking about writing, writing in cafes and in my home office whenever I felt the urge. This will be reduced to weekends and time squeezed in a week day.

Funnily enough, less time isn't always less time.
I write more when I have less time.

I refuse to give up on the dream of publishing my own book.

And I know that writing my book takes effort, belief and . . . time.

Any tips gratefully received.



Pic taken at 2009 Sculpture by the Sea at Bondi Beach, by Susanna Freymark. Would like to know the name of the artist. Anyone?


7 comments:

  1. It's funny how you can squeeze so much into a short space of time when you are committed and in the flow..... I look forward to reading your published book Susanna... I love seeing dreams come true. I am working on mine, still, enjoying it, distracted by writing songs as well and changing poo-ee nappies! Which reminds me, there is a walking stink bomb that needs some attending to! ha ha Keep up the blogging, it's wonderful to have a small snippet into your beautiful mind :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the pic, hope your good
    col

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep telling you susanna....just write about your own life esp the last few years, it'll be a best seller!!...make sure you include me of course.
    (no-one would believe it anyway)!
    karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best of luck, Susanna, with writing and working. And I agree with what you said about less time not always meaning less time! Having your writing opportunities restricted sometimes focuses your desire and improves your discipline. Here's hoping that's exactly what happens for you! Keep us updated, Sib :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you find time for what you really want to do though it may not be completed in the time you want it to. Go with the flow of it, you have so many wonderful things in your life to distract you and that demand attention. Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. full time job? what job? did I miss something?
    Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Distractions. I'm the queen of distractions. Having just read your blog for the first time Susanna I am inspired to follow my own creative path, even though that may be fitting it in between school lunches, soccer treasurer, hall committee and the multitude of other tasks we commit ourselves to in a small community. But the most important thing to do is make the time...so I'm off to work on my ceramics for the next half hour and make a plan for every week...Jenny X

    ReplyDelete